Supreme Court closes contempt case after Delhi lawyer's apology.

The Supreme Court has dropped suo motu criminal contempt proceedings against a Delhi lawyer over a social media post after he expressed remorse and tendered an unconditional apology.

A Bench of Chief Justice of India Surya Kant and Justices Joymalya Bagchi and V Mohana accepted the unconditional apology tendered by the respondent-contemnor, Vibhas Kumar Jha, an advocate practising before the Rohini District Courts in Delhi.

Jha's social media post, which has since been removed, took aim at women, certain Scheduled Caste communities and the Supreme Court's decision to reserve 33% representation for women advocates in state bar councils and bar associations nationwide.

Why did the Supreme Court drop the criminal contempt proceedings?

Court accepted Jha's apology after noting his repentance and an undertaking to maintain the highest degree of responsibility, restraint and sensitivity in all public statements, writings and social media activity.

Jha was present in court along with his counsel, Kunal. Some other members of the Tis Hazari Bar were also present.

Court noted that all of them had, "in one voice", expressed regret on behalf of Jha for his contemptuous actions.

They also stated that it would be their responsibility to ensure that Jha conducts himself respectfully and ethically and does not indulge in activities which are ex facie criminal contempt of court.

What did the Delhi lawyer say in his apology?

Jha filed an unconditional apology by way of an affidavit on July 21, 2026. In the affidavit, he explained that he had no intention or motive at any point of time to scandalise the court, lower its authority or interfere with the administration of justice.

He also placed on record his family circumstances, which, according to him, had driven him into a state of depression. He said it was under the influence of that disturbed state of mind that the alleged act of contempt was committed.

Jha further explained that the social media post had neither been republished or reposted nor circulated by him.

He gave an undertaking that he would not, directly or indirectly, republish or disseminate the offending material or any content thereof which could undermine the dignity, authority or majesty of the court.

He also stated that all the posts had been voluntarily removed or deleted from social media platforms.

Jha further undertook to maintain the highest degree of responsibility, restraint and sensitivity in all public statements, writings and social media activity and ensure that no act or omission on his part undermines, or is capable of being perceived as undermining, the dignity, authority or majesty of the court.

Jha expressed his remorse and tendered an unconditional and unqualified apology, requesting the court to take a compassionate and lenient view of the matter.

"We have heard the respondent-contemnor in person along with members of the District Bar. In view of the repentance shown by the respondent-contemnor and the undertaking given by way of an affidavit, we are inclined to accept the unconditional apology tendered by the respondent-contemnor. Ordered accordingly," the Bench said while closing the proceedings.

The Supreme Court had, on April 30, 2026, issued a show cause notice to Jha asking why criminal contempt proceedings should not be initiated against him.

Court had also asked why his Bar Licence should not be suspended and why he should not be restrained from practising as an advocate.

Case Title: In Re: Vibhas Kumar Jha, a Practicing Advocate in Rohini District Courts, Delhi

Bench: CJI Surya Kant, Justices Joymalya Bagchi and V Mohana

Date of Judgment: July 27, 2026

Tags: