Police constable shoots himself dead at the gates of Delhi High Court

  • Ratna Singh
  • 10:52 AM, 01 Oct 2021

A police constable has shot himself to death at the gates of the Delhi High Court, where he was posted on duty on Sep 28.

According to the police officials, the deceased personnel hailed from Rajasthan Armed Constabulary and was currently deployed in the High Court security.

“The constable, identified as Tinku Ram, shot himself with his service weapon an INSAS gun near gate No.3 of the High Court,” sources said.

A police team, including senior officials, reached the spot where the incident occurred.

The 30-year-old constable, from Kotkasim in Alwar, had just joined back on duty Wednesday morning at around 9.30 a.m. after a leave.

Official sources said that no suicide note was recovered from the site of the incident.

“The police is currently probing the circumstances that forced the constable to take this extreme step,” an official said.

The incident comes just five days after the Rohini Court shootout in which a key gangster, Jitender Gogi, was killed along with two other assailants.

In the wee hours of the afternoon on September 24, 2021, notorious Delhi gangster Jitender Mann Gogi was shot dead by members of a rival gang inside a courtroom at the Rohini court in New Delhi, in a shootout that left other several other lawyers and an intern injured.

In videos that emerged of the incident, rounds of gunshots are heard outside the courtroom and policemen and lawyers are seen scrambling for safety. 

Delhi Police is currently under the process to upgrade the security arrangements at all the courts in the national capital.

On September 28, the single judge bench of Justice Rekha Palli had issued notice in plea seeking directions to the Commissioner of Police, Delhi and Bar Council of Delhi to take requisite measures that ensure safety and security of the District Courts of Delhi in the wake of the “shocking and gory” shootout inside the Rohini Court on September 24.