Cauvery Water Dispute: SC Seeks Fresh Update As Karnataka Says It Will Struggle To Maintain 12,000 Cusecs Flow To Tamil Nadu

Supreme Court hearing on Tamil Nadus plea seeking release of Cauvery water by Karnataka amid a dispute over compliance with CWMA directions
X

Supreme Court adjourned the Cauvery water dispute hearing as Karnataka cited water distress and assured compliance with the CWMA's 12,000-cusecs flow direction

Before the Supreme Court Karnataka said the Cauvery flow had crossed 12,000 cusecs after an initial shortfall, while Tamil Nadu claimed nearly 20 TMC remained due

The Supreme Court on Monday adjourned the hearing on Tamil Nadu's plea seeking directions to Karnataka to release its due share of Cauvery water, after Karnataka maintained that it was complying with the directions of the Cauvery Water Management Authority (CWMA) despite severe water distress in the basin.

The Bench of Justices Vikram Nath and Sandeep Mehta was hearing Tamil Nadu's grievance that Karnataka had failed to release its mandated share despite a rain-deficient year, resulting in a substantial shortfall in the water reaching the State.


Tamil Nadu submitted that while the Cauvery Water Regulation Committee's recommendations and subsequent CWMA directions required Karnataka to release water, the actual flow had remained substantially below its entitlement. It told the Court that Karnataka currently had around 76% live storage in its reservoirs and could not retain the entire reservoir storage when Tamil Nadu was facing difficulty in supplying water to farmers.

According to Tamil Nadu, the Cauvery Tribunal award required the release of 64 TMC, but only around 14 TMC had been received so far. Even accounting for a deficit year, the State argued that the release could have been proportionately reduced, requiring at least 55.29% of the allocated quantity. Tamil Nadu claimed that nearly 20 TMC was presently due from Karnataka.

Karnataka Says it complied with CWMA directions

Senior Advocate Shyam Divan, appearing for Karnataka, disputed Tamil Nadu's allegation of non-compliance.

Divan submitted that there was “extreme distress” in the Cauvery basin and an “enormous deficit” in Karnataka's reservoirs. He said the CWMA was fully aware of the situation and had an established mechanism for dealing with the deficit.

According to Karnataka, the CWMA had issued two directions, each covering a 15-day period. The first required Karnataka to release 3,500 cusecs to Tamil Nadu until August 11.

Divan submitted that Karnataka had not only complied with the 3,500-cusecs direction but had “substantially exceeded it”.

He therefore disputed Tamil Nadu's submission that Karnataka was not complying with the CWMA's directions.

Karnataka says flow has crossed 12,000 cusecs

Divan further informed the Bench that the CWMA's subsequent requirement was for a flow of 12,000 cusecs per day from August 12.

He explained that water released from the Krishna Raja Sagar reservoir takes around 48 hours to flow downstream and that established protocols prevent water from being released suddenly.

“As of this morning, the flow has crossed 12,000 cusecs,” Divan submitted, adding that instructions had been issued to maintain the 12,000-cusecs flow throughout the day.

The Bench then sought clarification from Divan on whether Karnataka had complied with the direction to maintain 12,000 cusecs every day from August 12.

Divan acknowledged that there had been a shortfall during the initial period.

He submitted that as of August 17, the CWMA requirement stood at 12,000 cusecs and the flow had reached 12,607 cusecs. According to him, the increase was natural and not the result of Karnataka releasing additional water.

'Shortfall during first four to five days'

Divan said Karnataka would endeavour to maintain the 12,000-cusecs flow directed by the CWMA, although doing so would be “extremely difficult” for the State.

He further submitted that the flow had remained around 6,000 cusecs during the first four to five days, but Karnataka expected to make up the shortfall over the following days.

The Bench observed that the difficulty appeared to arise because the water could not be stored.

Divan responded that the issue was “not a question of not being able to store the water”.

Karnataka maintained that two expert bodies had already considered the situation and issued directions, and therefore the Supreme Court's role should remain limited.

The Bench, however, decided to adjourn the matter and directed Karnataka to return and apprise the Court of the position.

The hearing will therefore continue with the Court expected to consider the actual flow of Cauvery water, compliance with the CWMA directions and the competing claims of Karnataka and Tamil Nadu.

Background

Notably, Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam (DMK) had moved the Supreme Court seeking urgent release of Cauvery River water by Karnataka to Tamil Nadu in compliance with the recent directions of the Cauvery Water Management Authority which recently upheld the direction of the Cauvery Water Regulation Committee to release 3500 cusecs per day to Tamil Nadu, for 15 days.

The Cauvery water dispute is a long-standing dispute between Karnataka and Tamil Nadu which started way back in 1974 when Karnataka, the upper riparian State, started diverting water without Tamil Nadu's consent.

DMK has claimed that as per the final order of the Tribunal, the monthly stipulated flows to be ensured by Karnataka at Biligundlu during June to January every year are as follows: June to September - 123.14 TMC, October to January - 44.11 TMC, June to January - 167.25 TMC.

The application further highlights that in the current water year, the South-West Monsoon has been deficient in the Cauvery basin. It is alleged that the flows realized at Biligundlu have been dismally low - only about 10% of what is stipulated for the period. According to the applicant's estimate (accounting for distress-sharing basis), the backlog due to Tamil Nadu at Biligundlu stood at 9.46 TMC on July 26 (to fulfill which requirement about 7000 cusecs per day must be released for 15 days).

DMK submits that despite the decisions of the statutory authorities, Karnataka has not released the water. On the contrary, the state representatives have been reported as saying that the state will not release the water. The application underlines the significance of the current period by highlighting that out of the annual quantum of 167.25 TMC, nearly 3/4th is required to be realized at Biligundlu between June-September, as this is the time when the Kuruvai paddy crop is raised and operations for the Samba crop are undertaken.

Last year, Supreme Court had also refused to interfere with the Mekedatu Reservoir Project proposed by the Karnataka government in Cauvery river against which a plea was made by State of Tamil Nadu against the balancing reservoir at Mekedatu in Kanakapura Taluk of Bengaluru South District on the Karnataka-Tamil Nadu border.

Earlier, Union government had clarified that it has not accorded “any approval" for the construction of new dams across the Cauvery river. In a written reply to a question in the Rajya Sabha, Raj Bhushan Choudhary, minister of state for Jal Shakti, had said no permission was given for a new dam.

Notably, in 2023 the Supreme Court had also refused to interfere with the Cauvery Water Management Authority (CWMA) order on directions to the State of Karnataka on releasing Cauvery water to Tamil Nadu. A bench comprising Justices BR Gavai, PS Narasimha and Prashant Kumar Mishra had opined that the CWMA and CMRC consisted of various experts in the field of water resource management they had taken into consideration the shortfall of water this year before passing said order.

Case Title: State of Tamil Nadu v. State of Karnataka

Bench: Justices Vikram Nath and Sandeep Mehta

Hearing Date: August 17, 2026

Tags

Next Story