Read Time: 03 minutes
The said demolition action is being carried out as per the direction of a special task force headed by the vice-chairman of DDA.
The Supreme Court today refused to halt the demolition of illegal constructions being carried out by Delhi Development Authority (DDA) in Vishwas Nagar.
Providing slight relief to the aggrieved slum dwellers, a vacation bench of Justices Aniruddha Bose and Sanjay Karol has halted the demolitions for a week.
Court has further ordered that DDA may continue with the demolitions from May 29, 2023.
Notably, the vacation bench has also sought DDA's response by first week of July, on rehabilitation of those whose premises are being demolished.
When the matter was mentioned today on grounds of urgency as the demolitions started today, the counsel appearing for DDA submitted that a single bench and division bench of the Delhi High Court had already allowed DDA to removed the said illegal encroachers.
DDA had issued a public notice on Thursday, May 18, stating that it would carry out a demolition drive against illegal constructions in Vishwas Nagar.
"A demolition drive against all illegal structures falling on 60 Feet Road and its extension will be carried out from May 22-24 as per the order issued. Therefore, the affected people have been informed to vacate their premises before the action starts, else they will be responsible for any losses that may happen during the exercise," the notice read.
The unauthorised encroachments are said to be in the form of jhuggis and a few permanent constructions.
Please Login or Register