Sansad Chalo Clash: Protesters Crowdsource Evidence Against Delhi Police, Seek FIRs
The Cockroach Janta Party announced that it would launch an online portal to collect photos and videos from the July 20 'Sansad Chalo' protest, alleging police excesses and stating that the material would be used to seek FIRs and legal action against the officers identified
The Cockroach Janta Party announced that it will launch an online portal to collect photos and videos from protesters to identify Delhi Police personnel allegedly involved in the July 20 'Sansad Chalo' crackdown and seek registration of FIRs
The Cockroach Janta Party (CJP) on Friday announced that it will launch a dedicated website to collect photographs and videos from participants of the July 20 "Sansad Chalo" march, with the stated objective of identifying Delhi Police personnel allegedly involved in the crackdown on protesters and pursuing criminal action against them.
The announcement comes days after clashes erupted during the march organised over the alleged NEET examination paper leak and the demand for Union Education Minister Dharmendra Pradhan's resignation. The protest witnessed widespread police deployment, detentions and allegations of excessive use of force, with multiple legal proceedings already pending before the Supreme Court.
Addressing a press conference, CJP spokesperson Saurav Das alleged that police personnel used force against demonstrators and accused them of assaulting students and molesting women protesters during the action to disperse the crowd.
"As we announced earlier, every officer who attacked students, injured them and molested young girls has been warned. We will not remain quiet. We will remember everything," Das said.
He announced that the party would shortly launch an online platform inviting protesters to upload photographs and videos purportedly capturing police personnel during the crackdown.
According to Das, the material received through the website would be scrutinised by the party before identifying the officers concerned and initiating legal proceedings.
"We are launching a website and urge all protesters to upload any videos or photographs they have of the police officials who attacked them. The CJP team will scrutinise the material and identify every police officer. There should be FIRs against them," he said.
The proposed initiative appears aimed at creating a repository of visual evidence that the party says will be relied upon to seek registration of First Information Reports (FIRs) against the police personnel allegedly involved in the July 20 action.
Apart from announcing the evidence collection drive, the CJP reiterated its political demand for the resignation of Union Education Minister Dharmendra Pradhan, maintaining that accountability must be fixed over the alleged NEET paper leak.
The announcement assumes significance amid parallel legal proceedings concerning the July 20 protests. Earlier in the day, the Delhi High Court declined to entertain a Public Interest Litigation seeking a National Investigation Agency (NIA) probe into the "Sansad Chalo" march, observing that the power to entrust a case to the NIA lies within the statutory framework under the National Investigation Agency Act, 2008, and cannot be assumed by the Court.
In another matter, the High Court also disposed of a PIL filed by the Save India Foundation alleging attacks on police personnel during the protest at Jantar Mantar over the alleged NEET examination paper leak, granting liberty to the petitioner to approach the competent authorities. The Division Bench comprising Chief Justice Devendra Kumar Upadhyaya and Justice Tejas Karia observed that the legal framework governing incidents of violence during protests, including criminal action and recovery of compensation for damage to public property, had already been laid down by the Supreme Court and was in force.