Supreme Court constitutes a high powered committee to look into issues concerning the CJP protest.

The Supreme Court today revealed that it has finalised the constitution of a High Powered Committee to look into all aspects pertaining to the NEET Paper leak protests that happened across the country last month.

A CJI Surya Kant led bench observed that the said committee will comprising of a retired Supreme Court judge, a retired Chief Justice of a High Court and a former DGP.

While refusing to reveal the names of the members of the HPC, the bench added that an order would be passed on the said aspect.

"We are constituting a high powered committee to look into these issues...they will come to us with suggestions and we will take into consideration..," CJI said today.

The high powered committee will look into issues of police excesses, attack on policemen during the protests. "We will provide all necessary infrastructure facilities to the committee. We are quite sure that the committee will give an immediate voice and audience to any victim who approaches it. We will await the recommendations which the committee will make from time to time, and the necessary legal consequences must follow," court has said.

The committee will also look into the allegations concerning sexual assault and online harassment of female protestors and victimisation of other vulnerable persons through social media.

"Whosoever is responsible, there can be no excuse and no justification. It must be taken seriously and taken to its logical conclusion. That is why we are constituting a high-powered committee. The committee will look into each and every aspect of these matters," CJI Kant said.

Recently, the Supreme Court had directed that the State government that they are at liberty to withdraw FIRs registered against the protestors involved in the recent protests that happened in various parts of the country over the NEET paper leak. As a CJI Surya Kant led bench clarified that those FIRs registered against persons who are already accused of grave and heinous offences may not be withdrawn, Solicitor General Tushar Mehta informed the bench that 2700 such FIRs shall not be withdrawn.

Earlier, Court had directed that no coercive action would taken against the protestors involved in the recent protests. A Bench of Chief Justice of India Surya Kant, Justice Joymalya Bagchi and Justice V Mohana had also ordered immediate release of minors detained by police across different States except those with criminal background.

The Supreme Court had recently agreed to hear all petitions concerning the police “excesses” at the NEET Protests on July 28, 2026. "These things need to be addressed and they require a lot of balancing..," CJI Surya Kant said adding, "Right to protest..peaceful protest is a absolutely guaranteed under our constitutional scheme..that cannot be denied..if there is a peaceful agitation..They have a right to agitate..there should not be impediment or restriction..but if somebody has done something.."

A PIL filed before the Supreme Court seeks the constitution of an independent Judicial Commission headed by a retired Supreme Court judge to inquire into the alleged excessive and disproportionate use of force by law enforcement authorities against protesters during the NEET examination paper leak demonstrations in Delhi and connected incidents in Bihar.

Another PIL before the Supreme Court seeks directions for a neutral, time-bound investigation into the alleged attacks on journalists covering the ongoing protests over the alleged NEET examination paper leak at Jantar Mantar in the national capital. The petition contends that the case is not about choosing between the government and the protesters, but concerns the constitutional protection available to journalists performing their professional duties during public demonstrations.

Bench: CJI Kant, Justice Bagchi and Justice Mohana

Tags: